Last week, Bernard and I went Italian for Meatless Monday. I prepared basil tomato soup with garlic bread. It’s very simple, easy, and even cheap.
Let’s begin with the basil-tomato soup. First, you need
- tomato sauce
- bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups water
- Saute the garlic and the onion.
- Throw in the cube then add the water.
- Pour the tomato sauce (I used the can) and sprinkle some basil. Let it simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Add some salt and pepper (but I just added pepper since there’s already sodium in the tomato sauce).
- Serve while hot. Top with some basil leaves for more flavor.
If you want to save money on basil, buy McCormick Basil, which is only 50 pesos and you can save more for other recipes.
Now for the garlic bread:
- mini baguette, sliced in 4 parts
- finely chopped garlic
- Slice the mini baguette into 4 parts. I bought mine for around 40 pesos in French Baker. To spend less, you can use hot dog buns.
- In a separate bowl, combine some butter, garlic, basil, and pepper. Make sure they are mixed together properly.
- Then spread your mixture on the bread.
- Using an oven toaster, toast the breads for 15 minutes.